When I started this blog back at the beginning of February, I told myself I was going to keep it up at least 2-3 times a week during opportunity season. I maintained that pretty well until this week. I am now working 7 days a week and my family sees me for breakfast and a quick dinner. I have a graduate exam in Statistics coming up on April 12 and I still have 168 individual tax returns to get through by April 15. Let me do the math for you - that's 9 a day, every day.
The busier I get, with my head buried in the details, the more I struggle for a tax topic to write about. I know there are some of you out there reading every post. I hope that it's because you feel there is some information you can use. I'd really like your feedback. What are some of the tax issues or questions you have? Is there something about your return you don't understand? Please don't get me started on the Alternative Minimum Tax. I'm saving that diatribe for a later date.
I had an earlier post entitled Taxes Can Be Funny. I think it is so important for all of us to keep our sense of humor. Around here we are blessed to be around some very genuine, very funny people. It helps keep us all sane. One of the ways taxes can be funny is that sometimes clients can't or won't answer a direct question. Example: Q: "Did you refinance your mortgage?" Most of us can see this requires a simple yes or no answer. A: "I sent you the bank form". Here's another. Q: "Did you send your child to day camp or overnight camp"? A: "He's only 10". If you don't see the humor in these as much as I do, I apologize. Maybe my threshhold for funny has dropped along with my sleep hours. However, when this is the last piece of information you need before you can finish a return, it can be exasperating. If your tax person asks a direct question, please provide a direct answer to that question.
For all of you out there who skipped their minimum required distributions from your retirement plan in 2009, remember you have to take it again in 2010.
Take note, it's your money. The more you save in taxes, the more that's in your pocket. Let me know how I can help.
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment